Don Rude and his brother, Ron, started Ron and Don's Skelly Service Station on Water Street in downtown Decorah in 1976, which eventually became Don's Texaco. Don Rude ran the business for 15 years before selling it to Viking One Stop.
From 1990-2002, Don Rude was the service manager for the GM Chevrolet-Oldsmobile-Cadillac dealership in Decorah.
In December of 2002, Don purchased the building on College Drive which formerly housed CT Farm and Country. The 10,035 square foot building was constructed in the 1948 originally as a Ford car dealership, R.W. Klinker, Inc.
Don's Sales and Service opened in May of 2003, with a wide variety of used cars for sale, a full Service Center, Texaco Xpress Lube Center and Don's Towing Service.